Registering A Death
You must register a death, within five working-days of the death occurring, with the Register Office.
This process cannot be completed by the funeral service although it has been made as easy as it can be and the necessary paperwork is often posted or e-mailed.
You will need to contact the Register office once the paperwork has been issued, to make an appointment to register a death. The appointments need to be in person.
The information that they will need
The medical certificate of the cause of death from a doctor or the certificate from the coroner (if referred) will usually be supplied electronically directly to the Register Office.
You’ll need to provide the following information about the person who has died:
- Date and place of death
- Full name and surname together plus any other names they’ve been known by (for example a maiden name)
- Date and place of birth
- Marital status and the full names and last occupation of their spouse
- National health number (from their GP)
- Pension details and if they received a government pension
Who can register a death
The following people can register a death:
- A relative
- A person that was present at the death
- The occupier of the premises where the death occurred (if he/she was aware of the death)
- The person arranging the funeral with the funeral director
Documents you’ll get
- A death certificate (for a fee) – evidence for obtaining probate, pensions claims, insurance policies, savings certificates and premium bonds
- A certificate for burial or cremation (the green form) unless the coroner has issued an order for burial (form 101) or a certificate for cremation (form E) – gives permission for the burial or for an application for cremation to be made, it should be taken to the funeral director so that the funeral can be held
- A certificate of registration of death (form BD8) – for social security purposes.
Richard and his team are consummate professionals who supported us at the most challenging of times.
When Mum passed, you were an absolute Godsend to me. You helped more than I could have expected
Nothing was too much trouble.
Richard was recommended by a friend. I immediately felt comfortable and relaxed. He was a good listener, easy to talk to and his manner was reassuring and helpful. I can't thank him enough for seeing us smoothly through this traumatic time.
I lost my husband in his early 50's and Richard took over with great empathy, kindness and discretion. The professionalism of both him and his team was exemplary, even down to organising the traffic so that my husband's biker friends could follow us to the funeral. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.
Nothing was too much trouble. Everything from start to finish was absolutely perfect, the attention to details also superb including the timing of the drivers closing on both car doors, in my eyes, with that attention to detail I knew my Dad was in safe hands
I cannot recommend Richard enough for his compassion, professionalism and kind and thoughtful approach when dealing with myself and my family at such a difficult time. Nothing was too much bother for Richard.
We can't rate Westcountry Funeral Service high enough for their level of compassion .... nothing was ever too much trouble. Excellent communication throughout the whole process and everything was done to a high professional standard. I would highly recommend Westcountry Funeral Service.
From start to finish the professional service that we received was excellent. We would recommend this company to anyone who sadly is in need of this service.
Throughout the undertakers were superb, calm, stewarding agents of remarkable humanity... It was an incredible experience - a good disturbance of the heart.
Richard took over and gave our father's funeral dignity. An excellent all round service that I have no hesitation in recommending.
.. they looked after my mum, and all the details with the highest standard and went above and beyond.
...unbelievable from start to finish. It is rare to find such a truly personal service
From the moment we contacted Richard we knew our loved one, and the family, were in the safest hands. Outstanding care, service and value for money